[rescue] OT: Cellphone SMS to email

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed May 26 09:07:17 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:34:10AM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> No problem there, i.e. sending mail _to_ a phone.  No problem sending mail
> _from_ a phone, but it's tedious.
>
> What I want is to be able to send mail _from_ a phone as easily as sending
> an SMS message.

This depends on the phone, no?  The old Nokia I have has a space in the
addressbook for email address.  I assume if I ever set up SMS/email it
could use that address.

> On T-mobile and Verizon, to send an SMS message, you just enter your message
> and send it to a phone number.
>
> To send e-mail, you have to put in the e-mail address (which is tedious),
> then the message, and send it to a special phone number (500 on T-mobile).
>
> I want to have a special account with the cell company so people can just
> send an SMS message to a phone number, but it automagically (and without
> user action) becomes e-mail to a certain address.  Is that possible?

Hmmm, have a look at Chikka.com - they have a Windows and Mac client,
but they also have some kind of service that handles SMS <--> email.

They seem to make their money on kickbacks from the SMS messages they
generate - so it is "free" to you.

--Patrick