[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun May 9 13:57:24 CDT 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004 11:54:50 -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Err, Linux isn't only for x86.  It runs quite well on UltraSparc and
> PowerPC (and S/390 / zSeries) as well.

Yes I'm aware of that. My comment was spontaneous, and certainly wasn't
intended to be a comprehensive review of all possible solutions for
hosting virtual servers. I'm not being paid to do that, and it would be
kind of long winded and tedious for a mailing list.

> I *guarantee* you could run
> have more users under Linux on a z990 (or possibly a z900) than on
> anything that Sun sells. : )

That's kind of rash isn't it ? Whilst it's possibly (even probably)
true, it's not certain when you consider stuff like the E25K and even
clustered E25Ks.

It'll be interesting to find out just how many zones you can run on Sun
hardware.

> Of course, the IBM machine might cost a
> bit more.

Sun's prices aren't exactly cheap either especially when you start
clustering.

> I just wish more ISPs saw the benefits of having a single
> machine (or sysplex, for redundancy) that services all their customers

Their admins certainly do ... at least the ones that have any sense.