[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon May 10 06:50:27 CDT 2004

Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> c) Replace Linux servers running UML for virtual hosting. I dare say you
> could service a lot more customers with a V1280 than you could with almost
> anything with Intel/AMD inside.

UML isn't the only way to do virtual hosting on Linux, by the way. I'm
rather attached to the Linux Vserver stuff at www.linux-vserver.org. The
performance is better than a UML sandbox because it's not actually
virtualising anything but is more like chroot done right.

The downside is that all processes are running on the same kernel so a
kernel exploit could allow a user to break out of the sandbox. Fortunately,
that kind of kernel bug is rare, and quickly fixed if the admin is
competent.

I started using it because I wanted to run services on different machines
for security reasons, but couldn't face the power bill. I've now got it down
to three 24/7 machines in the house, drawing a relatively modest 190W.

(Small plug: I also sell vserver accounts on a fast box in Telecity
Manchester.)

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key