[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun May 9 10:51:06 CDT 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004 10:12:54 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
wrote:
> I bet you could copy all the 2.6 shared libs over to a private
> directory and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get partway there.

A 5.6 userland would get a little bit further although I dare say you'd
have to replace some of it with 5.10 stuff to deal with the kernel. I
dare say it wouldn't keep the application vendors happy... there's no
reason why the applications wouldn't work with later versions anyhow.

> > c) Replace Linux servers running UML for virtual hosting. I dare say
>
> Or even an older system with 8x336Mhz procs and 8GB RAM or whatnot.

Indeed. You should be able to shuffle vhosts between systems pretty
easily as well ... which is what Bytemark does, but with larger (even if
older) systems there would be less shuffling necessary.

> You can buy x86 that can handle 8GB, but it is still pricy for the
> motherboard and then the RAM is very expensive, too.

Sometimes I think we're a little too blase about memory. My dad started
working in 1960 on a medium-sized system with 4KWord of memory; I
started working in 1990 on a small system with 4Mbytes of memory. Now
I'm routinely working on workgroup servers with 4-16Gbytes of memory.

> I have had customers tell me they want Linux virtual servers but I
> have always shied away from offering it due to worries over
> performance and reliability.

If I hassle my boss enough, I should be able to let you know what a
Linux virtual server works like from a customer perspective within 6
months. I'm not expecting to be disappointed although I'll be doing less
with it than most other customers might.