[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun May 9 11:54:50 CDT 2004

Mike Meredith declared on Sunday 09 May 2004 06:37 am:
> c) Replace Linux servers running UML for virtual hosting. I dare say
>    you could service a lot more customers with a V1280 than you could
>    with almost anything with Intel/AMD inside.

Err, Linux isn't only for x86.  It runs quite well on UltraSparc and
PowerPC (and S/390 / zSeries) as well.  I *guarantee* you could run have
more users under Linux on a z990 (or possibly a z900) than on anything
that Sun sells. : )  Of course, the IBM machine might cost a bit more.
I just wish more ISPs saw the benefits of having a single machine (or
sysplex, for redundancy) that services all their customers instead of 10
racks of PC boxen that service a fraction of their customers.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/