[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun May 9 09:12:54 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:37:21PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:02:37 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:01:51PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> It's sufficiently interesting that I've got *managers* asking me about
> it! The only downside is that it appears that you can only run Sol10

Wow, could this be part of the technology that will bring Sun back
from the valley of the shadow of death?

> inside the 'virtual machine'; being able to run earlier versions of
> Solaris would be useful for those vendors who say "you must run
> SunOs5.6". Particular when you've got multiple applications that you
> want to run on the same machine with conflicting requirements.

I bet you could copy all the 2.6 shared libs over to a private
directory and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get partway there.

> c) Replace Linux servers running UML for virtual hosting. I dare say
>    you could service a lot more customers with a V1280 than you could
>    with almost anything with Intel/AMD inside.

Or even an older system with 8x336Mhz procs and 8GB RAM or whatnot.
You can buy x86 that can handle 8GB, but it is still pricy for the
motherboard and then the RAM is very expensive, too.

I have had customers tell me they want Linux virtual servers but I
have always shied away from offering it due to worries over
performance and reliability.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Web hosting        |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $49.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $79.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $225/month        |