Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 4 14:28:46 CDT 2004

Tue, 04 May 2004 @ 08:48 -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle said:

> At the time, we joked about how Apple's marketing department should have
> been more consistent:  II -> IIx, SE -> SEx!  Chickens. :-)

How can you guys ever redeem yourself for not mentioning the king of
them all: Mac IIfx.

Shame on all of you!  :)

I still want one, after all these years.

I have a pair of Mac IIci systems sitting on a shelf, restored and
working, but not used.  Not sure what I'll do with them.

> many times over.  Given the environment that some of the machines were in
> (dusty, hot) those SE/30s were damn near indestructible.

Apple's tend to get used longer than PCs, and even some workstations.

I've been in shops in the last couple of years that were still running
680x0 Macs.

In fact, one of my IIci machines was still being used in 2002.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than
the sage amongst his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are mighty