Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue May 4 10:48:43 CDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> The Mac II had a 68020, a 6881 floating point processor, and a socket for a
> MMU.
>
> The Mac IIx had a 68030 and a 6881. It also had a 1.4 meg floppy drive.
>
> The SE was a 68000 no MMU (no support on the chip).
>
> The SE/30 was a MacIIx squeezed into a Mac/SE case. 68030, 68881, and
> one modified NuBus slot (it had the connector on the end instead of the
> bottom of the card).

At the time, we joked about how Apple's marketing department should have
been more consistent:  II -> IIx, SE -> SEx!  Chickens. :-)

The SE/30s were dead sexy at the time.  I built a network for a client
when they were brand new, around an AppleShare server, a bunch of SE/30s
and IIcxs with internal Ethernet cards, a separate Localtalk segment for
printing, even dialup access.  We spent $39,700 & change out of a budget
of $40K, which they thought was a little high at the time, but that
network ran their entire operation (accounting, marketing, inventory,
shipping, lab reports, etc.) for damn near 10 years and it paid for itself
many times over.  Given the environment that some of the machines were in
(dusty, hot) those SE/30s were damn near indestructible.

And many hours of my youth were misspent when Tetris first came out on
those... :-)

-- Chris