[rescue] DEC 3000/400

Ian Viemeister sun-rescue at ian.viemeister.com
Mon May 3 12:46:32 CDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Todd Carson wrote:

> Several months ago I rescued a big DEC 3000 from a scrap yard. It's loaded up
> with RAM and a hard drive and has a framebuffer in one of the TurboChannel
> slots, but I've never been able to use it since the serial port has an MMJ
> connector.

I've got one of those sitting behind me right now (no framebuffer, though,
it's a 400S).

> Firstly, can anyone recommend a good place to get MMJ adapters or cables? From
> googling it looks as if MMJ to DB25 adapter cables go for $20-25 at places
> like this:
> 	http://www.stonewallcable.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=SC%2D7037&dept%5Fid=34
> ...and I'll probably go for one of those unless there's something
> cheaper/better.

L-Com --  http://www.l-com.com/
The REC096FD or REC096MD (female/male) are 9-pin to MMJ for $6.75 each,
and if you don't have a pin insertion tool, grab the TDT for $2.95.
(If you really need the 25-pin, they are REC256FD or REC256MD, $7.35/each)
MMJ cables are $3-$4 each depending on length.

> Secondly, I don't know whether or not there's an OS on the box, since I've
> never gotten a console on it. I'm sure I could run OpenBSD or NetBSD on it
> with few problems, but that's not very interesting.

Yup, NetBSD works just fine on it, I use that box to cross-compile for the
netbsd VAXen.

> Then there's OpenVMS, which I know nothing about and would love to learn. It
> looks like the only way to get it cheaply is to join Encompass as an
> "associate" and then order a hobbyist? Does anyone know more about how to
> obtain OpenVMS, and how well I could expect the latest version to run on this
> system?

I haven't really done much with VMS since 5.5 on a VAX, but if I remember
correctly, this box had been running 7.1 just fine originally.

--Ian