[rescue] DEC 3000/400

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Mon May 3 12:27:14 CDT 2004

Several months ago I rescued a big DEC 3000 from a scrap yard. It's loaded up
with RAM and a hard drive and has a framebuffer in one of the TurboChannel
slots, but I've never been able to use it since the serial port has an MMJ
connector.

Firstly, can anyone recommend a good place to get MMJ adapters or cables? From
googling it looks as if MMJ to DB25 adapter cables go for $20-25 at places
like this:
	http://www.stonewallcable.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=SC%2D7037&dept%5Fid=34
...and I'll probably go for one of those unless there's something
cheaper/better.

Secondly, I don't know whether or not there's an OS on the box, since I've
never gotten a console on it. I'm sure I could run OpenBSD or NetBSD on it
with few problems, but that's not very interesting.

Then there's OpenVMS, which I know nothing about and would love to learn. It
looks like the only way to get it cheaply is to join Encompass as an
"associate" and then order a hobbyist? Does anyone know more about how to
obtain OpenVMS, and how well I could expect the latest version to run on this
system?

Thanks,
Todd Carson