[rescue] Odd Mac startup problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat May 1 01:36:29 CDT 2004

Hoping for a little troubleshooting advice from the Mac folks.

We have a 7300/180 upgraded with a Sonnet G3/300 card.  About 328MB of
RAM, two hard disks (I just put the second one in tonight), CDROM,
running MacOS 9.1 (or 9.1.2, I don't recall offhand).  I have the cache
speed pushed up somewhat to 3:2 instead of the default 2:1, but it
appears fully stable at that speed.

It has a consistent weird behavior that has been going on for at least a
month and I cannot for the life of me find the cause.  Power it on, all
the appropriate indicator lights come on, the hard drive spins up
(actually, now, both hard drives spin up), but it doesn't boot.  Zip,
nada, no sad mac, not even a vertical-blank signal to the monitor -- it
just sits there.  Shut it off and immediately power it back on again,
and on the second try, it boots flawlessly every time.

Anyone have any suggestions? About the only thing I can think of is some
kind of flakiness on the boot disk, perhaps a stiction problem in the
head actuator.  But I've never seen a stiction problem that acts like
this before, or this consistently.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :