[rescue] Odd Mac startup problem

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat May 1 02:42:39 CDT 2004

On Sat, 1 May 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> We have a 7300/180 upgraded with a Sonnet G3/300 card.
>
> It has a consistent weird behavior that has been going on for at least a
> month and I cannot for the life of me find the cause.  Power it on, all
> the appropriate indicator lights come on, the hard drive spins up
> (actually, now, both hard drives spin up), but it doesn't boot.  Zip,
> nada, no sad mac, not even a vertical-blank signal to the monitor -- it
> just sits there.  Shut it off and immediately power it back on again,
> and on the second try, it boots flawlessly every time.

My 7300/180 does exactly the same thing.  I even tried swapping memory
and replacing the onboard battery, neither of which changed the
behavior.

I suspect there's just some component in the power supply that gets old
and takes more time to come up to operating spec than the machine allows,
so it doesn't come up on the first try.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."