[rescue] Q: ANyone have exp. with small print servers?

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Mar 31 11:02:57 CST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Mike Parson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 02:56:15PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am thinking I want to get a small USB print server to deploy a small
>> laser printer in my kitchen, so that I can print from my wireless
>> laptop. I have a 4 port switch in my kitchen (doesn't everyone?), so I
>> am thinking about a wired solution.
>>
>> My initial thougths are:
>>
>>  - I'd like the unit to have a "generic" telnet config option
>
> This is gonna be the hard one.  Most of the print servers I've seen are
> http configured.  The only ones I've played with that support telnet
> are
> the HP boxes, but they are more than 2x the price.

We use Axis print servers - they come ready to configure via http,
telnet or ftp.  I'm not hip on pricing but the cost difference is (for
us) minimal between HP and Axis.  IIRC.

The telnet/ftp option is not advertised, but it's dead easy to use.
One option we considered was keeping a 'gold' copy of the config file
and ftp'ing it to the new devices on demand.

~brian