[rescue] Q: ANyone have exp. with small print servers?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Mar 31 10:52:39 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 02:56:15PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking I want to get a small USB print server to deploy a small
> laser printer in my kitchen, so that I can print from my wireless
> laptop. I have a 4 port switch in my kitchen (doesn't everyone?), so I
> am thinking about a wired solution.
>
> My initial thougths are:
>
>  - I'd like the unit to have a "generic" telnet config option

This is gonna be the hard one.  Most of the print servers I've seen are
http configured.  The only ones I've played with that support telnet are
the HP boxes, but they are more than 2x the price.

>  - I'd like USB support, but parallel port is fine too
>
>  - Support Solaris/Linux/Win/Mac clients - I have "big" HP
>    laserjets with internal print servers, but I want something
>    with a smaller footprint

Most of them will do this fine, just offer up a lpd port for you to
print to.

> I am thinking something like one of these (sub-$50 devices at CompUSA):
> http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?Ntt=print+server&N=8&Ne=500000&Ntk=All
>
> or this loks nice too (4 port switch & print server):
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310146&pfp=cat3
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?

If you can figure out the manufacturer for them, (the linksys model is
rather obvious ;), check their websites for manuals, see if they've got
the features you want.

There are even 802.11b wireless print servers out there =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org