[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Mar 30 13:31:52 CST 2004

> I also said to me that I personally consider it like if UNIX/VMS/etc.
> are like riding a motorcycle, then Windows is like being able to ride a
> bike with training wheels.  It's pretty darn near impossible to not know
> Windows.  (from that point of view not knowing it means there is
> something wrong)  It's about ease not exposure.  Just because someone
> has hardly worked with Windows ever... case in point your mainframe
> guy... doesn't mean he doesn't know Windows from my point of view.. i.e.
> that he couldn't figure it out after playing with it for a few seconds.
> The point is that I learned most of my advanced level support skills on
> the OS within a few days of just plugging away until I fixed stuff.  It
> works for that platform.

I do give some sort of disclaimer when I work on Windows (as I must
sometimes), because Windows is so odd that weird shit appears in weird
places that would never be suggested by working on any intelligent
operating system. Example: Windows' propensity to screw with DNS (the
domain it uses and its hostname in the DNS server) that is enabled in a
default install and is fixed by going to

My computer|properties|network identification|properties|more

and unchecking the change primary dns suffix when domain menbership
changes, and

My network places|properties|local
connection|properties|tcp/ip|properties|advanced|DNS

and UNchecking the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS"

Even if I did know how to do all these kinds of things in Windows (and I
only know these two because their existence and behavior pissed me off
no end) this is such a brainded implementation of networking that I'd be
ashamed to admit it.

Finally, I am afraid that learning the Windows way of doing things (per
examples shown above) may seriously corrupt the little bit of useful
computer knowledge I have managed to retain over the past couple of decades.

Steve