[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Mar 30 09:41:39 CST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 2:05 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> That's a pretty narrow view of things.  Windows is not the World.  It
> never was, and it never will be.  That's the same for VMS, Unix, MVS,
> MacOS, or whatever.

I never said Windows was the world.  It does appear to be the world to
the uneducated.

I also said to me that I personally consider it like if UNIX/VMS/etc.
are like riding a motorcycle, then Windows is like being able to ride a
bike with training wheels.  It's pretty darn near impossible to not
know Windows.  (from that point of view not knowing it means there is
something wrong)  It's about ease not exposure.  Just because someone
has hardly worked with Windows ever... case in point your mainframe
guy... doesn't mean he doesn't know Windows from my point of view..
i.e. that he couldn't figure it out after playing with it for a few
seconds.  The point is that I learned most of my advanced level support
skills on the OS within a few days of just plugging away until I fixed
stuff.  It works for that platform.

> We have a couple of mainframe guys at work who can barely use Windows
> enough to use email.  But put them in front of an S/390, and they'll
> churn out BEAUTIFUL code.  The Novell guys find my Mac to be enigmatic.
> I'm pretty clueless about Novell.  The Windows guys can't even FIND the
> mainframe.
>
> But we're all necessary.

Yes, but see above.  It's really the slant you put on "telling people
about knowing Windows" I guess.

Andrew