[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 30 01:05:18 CST 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I think my issue is that to totally non-technical people... perhaps
> suits in charge of your job or who speak to and influence those in
> charge of your job, if you don't know Windows, you don't know anything
> about computers.

There is a very high likelihood that I'll not want to be talking with
those people about computers at ALL, so that's just fine by me.

> he doesn't know Windows, but I know Windows, so what is he working here
> for?

Because he keeps the dinosaurs happy.

> I of course put myself in many people's shoes and think of the
> perception people get when someone utters the phrase "I don't know
> Windows" to me.  Unless I knew the person well and knew their slant,
> I'd probably want them nowhere near the IT department.  I'd certainly
> have lost respect for them.

That's a pretty narrow view of things.  Windows is not the World.  It
never was, and it never will be.  That's the same for VMS, Unix, MVS,
MacOS, or whatever.

We have a couple of mainframe guys at work who can barely use Windows
enough to use email.  But put them in front of an S/390, and they'll
churn out BEAUTIFUL code.  The Novell guys find my Mac to be enigmatic.
I'm pretty clueless about Novell.  The Windows guys can't even FIND the
mainframe.

But we're all necessary.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."