[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Mar 27 17:25:33 CST 2004

On Mar 27, 2004, at 3:39 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>> The problem is when this happens where you work, and they are already
>>> paying you...
>>
>>    "Sorry, not my job."
>
> That doesn't work for me.  I tell them "I don't know Windows".  It
> doesn't make me feel like an idiot at all.  They don't have to know
> what
> I was certified on in the past. :)

I think my issue is that to totally non-technical people... perhaps
suits in charge of your job or who speak to and influence those in
charge of your job, if you don't know Windows, you don't know anything
about computers.  They may just complain about you touching any
computers or even working there if you say you don't know Windows.
These are suits mostly mind you so their line of thinking is... he
doesn't know Windows, but I know Windows, so what is he working here
for?

I of course put myself in many people's shoes and think of the
perception people get when someone utters the phrase "I don't know
Windows" to me.  Unless I knew the person well and knew their slant,
I'd probably want them nowhere near the IT department.  I'd certainly
have lost respect for them.  It is this perceived loss of respect that
prevents me from ever using such a phrase on someone just to avoid
menial tech support.

Plus, it is my job to support Windows mostly.  I have clients I support
macs for, many I support Windows for, some I support HP-UX and Linux
for, and others I do Cisco work for.

Andrew