[rescue] SGI rackmount computer case.... what SGI ?

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Fri Mar 19 14:43:29 CST 2004

Francois Dion wrote:

> A while back, Curtis Wilbar picked up a rackmount SGI case. Some
> argued that it might have been a fake. One of the argument was that
> the chassis was not stainless.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2794521222&category=51119
>
> Shows that casing again, but populated with an ACER motherboard. It
> does have a serial card with SGI silkscreened on it. So I dont know.
> Was this a fake or not? We'll never know for sure, but it looks like
> it's something that never made it into production.
>
> Francois
>
> Andrew Weiss wrote:

>>> I'm thinking it looks more like a prototype case.  If its a fake, its a
>>> damn good fake.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>> Perhaps, but if you look at the construction and layout and then take
>> a good long look at all their other IA32 models in terms of interior
>> layout, design, and construction, this looks like the only good
>> quality item is the front plastic (sort of)... it doesn't taste like
>> SGI designed hardware.  I'm going from a careful examination of all
>> their legacy Intel PDF's and an intimate knowledge of the 320 from
>> this last weeks service call.  (Turned out to be the power brick on
>> the 1600SW)
>>
>> Andrew

Those are actually not fake. These are real SGI machines. I've seen one
of those in a warehouse once where it came from SGI (in a SGI box).
Guess one of the reasons they did this cause they wanted to do the same
like companys rebadging SGI gear. SGI builds big powerfull machines,
then their PC's must be good too.

-- Thomas