[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 16, Issue 19

Ross Bernheim rossber at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 9 08:56:20 CST 2004

On Tuesday, March 9, 2004, at 05:56 AM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org
wrote:

> True, true.  I just don't want to have to hassel with something that's
> loose
> and not bolted down.  I don't necessarily drive so smoothly (picturing
> an
> iPod flying out of its holster and out the window...!)

You need to check out the various solutions to 'mounting' the iPod in an
automobile. Belkin has one that I am using. It has a set of 'cups' that
you
select from to find one that fits your cup holder and a flexible arm
attaches to
the cup and has a mount for the iPod on the top. The mount has a large
suction cup on the back (with a release tab) to hold the iPod securely
and
there is a cutout on the bottom for connections to a 'dock' style iPod
and the
top is open so you can connect to any iPod via the headphone jack. I am
using the Belkin car adaptor that has an amplified (adjustable) output
from the line out on the bottom of the dock series of iPods and powers
the iPod as well. It is a relatively easy to use setup and works well.

The alternative is to wait for Alpine's announced unit that will
integrate
with the iPod and control it and read out from the iPod directly on the
head unit.

Ross Bernheim

Succeed in spite of management.