[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Mon Feb 23 17:49:54 CST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Todd Carson wrote:

> What types of PS/2 keyboards are known to work with these?
> I've tried five or six different keyboards, generic ones and Compaq and
> DEC branded ones, and none of them seem to work either during the boot
> sequence or at the AIX login prompt. Is there any configuration required
> in AIX to use PC PS/2 keyboards?

I just grabbed a PS/2 keyboard from an HP 712, and it worked without
problems.  The key mappings were a little screwy until CDE came up, but
were fine after that.  The mouse is a normal Logitech 3-button
optomechanical.

I think I may have tried a Northgate Omnikey too, but I'm not sure.  When
I have the chance to pull it out of storage I'll try one.

I have had problems with generic keyboards on older 300 series RS/6000's.
That's one of the reasons I went with the 250.

-Janet