[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Feb 14 19:35:34 CST 2004

   On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I was, indeed, using 6.1.  It could be a difference, but that left me
> with a sour taste for Redhat ever since.  "GCC 2.96" didn't help with
> that at all.

   Well, I'm not averse to bootstrapping gcc on architectures that
it's supported on (Hell, I did it on ULTRIX 4.3) so taht doesn't
scare me in the least.  I was griping about the initial install going
tits up on me pretty close to the outset.

   My install of RH6.1 actually finished today by installing from
an "NFS image" of the ruddy CD as copied onto one of my file-servers
at home (I am not amused).  I'm in the process of getting the
important bits up to speed, and am actually having decent luck (but
rather slow luck (this being February in New England and my CPU a
standard SS2)) getting it going.  "Film at 11", as they say, perhaps
in two nights' time.

   Oh, I saw some wiseguy remark about RH 6.2 for SPARC.  Where
can I bag a copy?

   Cheers!