[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Feb 14 20:17:00 CST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Carl R. Friend wrote:

> > with a sour taste for Redhat ever since.  "GCC 2.96" didn't help with
> > that at all.
>
>    Well, I'm not averse to bootstrapping gcc on architectures that
> it's supported on (Hell, I did it on ULTRIX 4.3) so taht doesn't
> scare me in the least.

I was referring to the CVS snapshot of GCC that RedHat included with v7
that they marked "GCC 2.96".  It was horribly-broken, not release-quality,
and not ABI-compatible with anything else.  It resulted in a firestorm
of hate mail and bugreports to the FSF, who responded with this:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

Yeah, building GCC is not terribly painful (in general), but when the OS
vendor ships a broken compiler with no upgrade path in sight, eh, life's
rough.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."