[rescue] [OT?] Linux on a SS2

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Feb 15 12:03:27 CST 2004

On Sunday 15 February 2004 11:01, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> > > What *kind* of serial console?
> >
> > I used a null modem cable with DB25 gender changer on the Sun's end
> > with the SS1000 serial port A. 96008N1 to a PC with minicom and it
> > worked flawlessly. Don't remember about type of flow control.
>
> Bet you weren't using vt100 emulation :-)  vt102 right?
> Then again, maybe it's just my wyse terminal that has some kind of
> substandard vt100 emulation.

Yes, WYSE terminal tend to suck (from what I hear from others).  I'm
guessing it didn't properly ignore some of the escape sequences that it
didn't understand, like color-selection ones...  I've used a VT340,
VT220, a "generic" ANSI(color VT100) emulating terminal which I can't
remember the name of, PC's using minicom and kermit, and (drumroll) and
LSI ADM-3.  Now, the ADM-3 wasn't pretty as it didn't emulate VT100,
but I was able to get it to go for a bit, until I gave up and dragged
my laptop over.  However, the ADM stuck as a console for it until I
retired the machine.  In fact this was on the SS5/170 I was talking
about earlier in this thread...

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS