[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 12 22:30:44 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:06:57PM -0500, Stephen Sukovich wrote:

> Now I got a strange question... was IS everyone using their sun machines
> for? My sparc20 right now is a silly router/firewall/dns server/samba
> server/great adzapping proxy server for my miniature network. Wonder
> what everyone else is using these things for.

BTW, some of us don't like trying to combine so many tasks onto one
machine.  For myself personally, trying to do so is a recipe for
screwing all services up at once repeatedly.  I'm much safer when I
follow the one service/one box rule.  And of course, following that
would mean that while you use one SS20 for those tasks, I would need 4
machines for what you list.  Despite what some people say is proper, for
a small network I would most likely combine the firewall and internet
router into one machine, instead of having a proper set up of
router->firewall->nat, then from the nat T off to the internal router
and to the DMZ machine.  So, I would go router/nat/firewall -> internal
router (for routing between my internal subnets).