[rescue] another sandia/los Alamos auction

Stephen Sukovich ssukovich at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 23:06:39 CST 2004

>BTW, some of us don't like trying to combine so many tasks onto one
>machine.  For myself personally, trying to do so is a recipe for
>screwing all services up at once repeatedly.  I'm much safer when I
>follow the one service/one box rule.  And of course, following that
>would mean that while you use one SS20 for those tasks, I would need 4
>machines for what you list.  Despite what some people say is proper,
for
>a small network I would most likely combine the firewall and internet
>router into one machine, instead of having a proper set up of
>router->firewall->nat, then from the nat T off to the internal router
>and to the DMZ machine.  So, I would go router/nat/firewall -> internal
>router (for routing between my internal subnets).

My ss20 is pretty much rock solid running openbsd 3.4 except for it
complaining about running out of nmbclusters which for some reason if I
raise the value it panics when I boot.

Once I get my power supply for my e150 (hopefully that's all that's
wrong with it) ill move some of the stuff off. The only real reason I
run tons of services is lack of machines, but I do have an unused dual
p3 700mhz machine sitting around but its cursed. It likes to powerup at
times, but not actually boot till you unplug it and turn it on again. Id
sell it or give it away but it is cursed as I said...

Stephen Sukovich