[rescue] Block size and the single DD

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Feb 10 23:19:52 CST 2004

Phil Stracchino says...

> Can you physically *MOVE* enough data over a 10baseT network to keep a
> DLT drive streaming?  I know a 10baseT connection will saturate before
> my VXA1 drive does.  (Fortunately the VXA drive is variable-speed, so
> shoe-shining ceases to be an issue.)

I dunno.

FWIW, it did a smidgen less than 450,000 Bps on this latest trial.  I think
the 200xt drives are rated at several times that.  I would expect a 10baseT
link to move about 1 megabyte, net, so the network may be the problem.

I guess I'll have to buckle down and get 100baseT running on everything....

Of course, the last time I backed up the SPARCclassic to its own DLT drive,
it shoeshined, too.  I'm hoping putting the disk drive and tape drive on
different SCSI chains will solve that.  I'll know in the morning, when I see
the stats from tonight's backup.

-Shel