[rescue] Block size and the single DD

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Feb 10 22:54:37 CST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:20:17PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> So I've got this Solaris shell script that backs up my SGI machines to the
> spiffy new DLT tape drive on my SPARCclassic....
>
> The heart of the script is this line:
>
> 	rsh $MACHINE xfsdump -l 0 -F - $FS | dd of=$TAPE bs=$BS
>
> I run that on the Sun with values like
>
> 	MACHINE=blinky	# Indigo2 R4k
> 	FS=/dev/root
> 	TAPE=/dev/rmt/1cn	# DLT 2000xt on Sun SBUS card
> 	BS=1024k
>
> Now, this works, but it's so slow that the DLT tape shoeshines itself into a
> lather.

Can you physically *MOVE* enough data over a 10baseT network to keep a
DLT drive streaming?  I know a 10baseT connection will saturate before
my VXA1 drive does.  (Fortunately the VXA drive is variable-speed, so
shoe-shining ceases to be an issue.)

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :