[rescue] Block size and the single DD

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Feb 11 04:18:42 CST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:20:17 -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> So I've got this Solaris shell script that backs up my SGI machines to
> the spiffy new DLT tape drive on my SPARCclassic....
>
> The heart of the script is this line:
>
> 	rsh $MACHINE xfsdump -l 0 -F - $FS | dd of=$TAPE bs=$BS
[...]
> Nothing much is running on either box, and the network (10baseT) is
> not busy.
A DLT is faster then 10baseT == 1 MB/s max. Especially if you use the
hardware compression. I have a DLT2000XT on my Octane and it doesn't
stream all the time when I back up the 9 GB system disk. The 18 GB data
disks can keep up with the DLT (mostly). DLTs are quite fast. :-)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen