[rescue] OT: Should I Cisco Cert?

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Feb 3 18:10:12 CST 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> --- Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Kevin Loch wrote:
>>
>>>Don't join the military for career advancement (unless
>>>you want to be president someday).  Join only if you genuinely
>>>want to be a soldire/officer.  Joining the military for any other
>>>reason is insane.
>>
>>Using it to get through med school isn't a bad gig, I hear.
>

> The thing to remember is it gets very ugly if you don't make it through
> medical school - your service commitment remains, and you may owe for
> your tuition... Oh, and you may not even get your commission, so you'll
> start out on the bottom of the food chain (or at least near the bottom)
>
> This is based on personal friends exp. when he dropped out of Army ROTC
> in college (decided he was a pacifist, much to the suprise of his
> father, a Col. in the Army!), and it was a few years ago, so the
> obligation/penalty may have "evolved"...

Having been "on scholarship" in college in late 80's, at that
time, an official obligation did not kick in until after your
second year of the scholarship.

And, as far as I am aware, even at that point, you can serve out
your obligation in the reserves (not that the reserves are much
consolation in today's military).

It's pretty difficult to lose a non-medical/non-law Army or
Marine Corps scholarship, short of flunking out of school or
winding up in jail.  Navy scholarships are the toughest to
keep--you have to make the grade in engineering courses even
if you are not an engineering major.

=Nadine=