[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Feb 3 15:52:40 CST 2004

> I may have to give it a shot without Netmax, since I think that's
> where most of my problems lie.  Trying to install or upgrade anything
> useful often requires fighting netmax.  I can't even add a user account
> through the shell because netmax makes its own config file and then
> overwrites the standard config files every time it refreshes.
> What did you do to install?  Just put the drive in another system?  I've
> heard there is an unused serial port header on the motherboard but I've
> never opened it.

I installed by putting the drive in another system.  The only problem I
had was the system would not boot up unless I installed a video card.  By
checking the logs I was able to determine that without a video card the
system wasn't even loading.  Asking around led me to understand the problem
was with grub expecting a video display.  I used LILO instead and had no
further problems.  I'm waiting on the experiments with the possible serial
port to see if that works out.  If it does I'm going to the header to mine.

> > > [0] 2 MUDs and a dopewars server.
> >
> > I have DopeWars but it's just the standalone version.  What's new in
> > the online version?
>
> Real time fighting!  If you run into other players when you take the
> monorail to another location (such as Moe's) then you can fight and
> try to kill them before you run out of Smithers.  You can also tip
> off Chief Wiggum or Rex Banner to their whereabouts.  High scores
> are also listed, so you can compete with other people.  There is
> a meta server that provides directory listings to people running
> dopewars servers, so you don't even need to advertise.  I did
> most of my customizations in source code until I bothered to RTFM
> and found out you can do it all by generating a config file.  Heh.

I'll have to check it out.  If you kill someone do you get to take all
their possessions?
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net