[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Feb 3 13:52:22 CST 2004

 Dan Duncan said ...
[of his SPARCclassic]
> I have to admit I took some pride in hosting 5 virtual domains
> for email and web and running a number of games[0], a leafnode
> server, and other little amusing things on a fairly old piece
> of hardware I got for $20.  (Take that, Windows boy!)

<AOL>
Me, too!
</AOL>

Although I'm running a different mix, it's probably about the same load.
The Sun lunchboxes were very capable machines, probably moreso than was
appreciated when they were new, and continue to be so.

I just wish Sun had continued with that formfactor.  It's rather cool to
show folks around here ... they see the immense and noisy SGI Challenge and
ask if that's the "server..."

"Naw, it's just a toy.  I run some distributed processing stuff on it, and
do a little programming, is about all.  The server's that box over there."

"Uhhh, where?"

"The little one on the shelf."

"You mean that one?  That little one?  The one by itself?"

"Yep."

"How can that little thing be the server?"

Heh.

-Shel