[rescue] restorations and keyboards

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 3 14:33:34 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I have a Magnia SG-20 as my mail and web server running RedHat 9 and
> I don't have any complaints.  Which model were you using?  I tried
> NetMax several years ago and found it to be pretty bad, though.

Mine is also an SG-20.

I may have to give it a shot without Netmax, since I think that's
where most of my problems lie.  Trying to install or upgrade anything
useful often requires fighting netmax.  I can't even add a user account
through the shell because netmax makes its own config file and then
overwrites the standard config files every time it refreshes.
What did you do to install?  Just put the drive in another system?  I've
heard there is an unused serial port header on the motherboard but I've
never opened it.

> > [0] 2 MUDs and a dopewars server.
>
> I have DopeWars but it's just the standalone version.  What's new in
> the online version?

Real time fighting!  If you run into other players when you take the
monorail to another location (such as Moe's) then you can fight and
try to kill them before you run out of Smithers.  You can also tip
off Chief Wiggum or Rex Banner to their whereabouts.  High scores
are also listed, so you can compete with other people.  There is
a meta server that provides directory listings to people running
dopewars servers, so you don't even need to advertise.  I did
most of my customizations in source code until I bothered to RTFM
and found out you can do it all by generating a config file.  Heh.

-DanD

# Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.  -Ashleigh Brilliant