[rescue] AIX & RS/6000

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Thu Oct 16 19:26:24 CDT 2003

On Thursday 16 October 2003 03:05 pm, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> > I know several people here are AIX proponents, so I was hoping that
> > someone could point me towards a low-cost or free source of AIX 5.1/5.2
> > media and license.
>
> The -upgrade- from 5.1 to 5.2 is over a thousand dollars on a
> multiprocessor system!

Not to mention that 5.2 won't run on the model 140.  As of 5.2, IBM dropped
support for PREP boxes, among other things (including MCA and anything
pre-604 I believe).  Only runs on CHRP now.

But yeah, IBM anything ain't cheap.

How exactly does IBM license AIX?  I've never seen any paper license with our
stuff, and it's not like they use license keys or passwords or anything like
that.  So what serves as proof of license?

-E.