[rescue] AIX & RS/6000

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 16 19:51:17 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Eric Webb wrote:

> Not to mention that 5.2 won't run on the model 140.

Yeah, there is that.  The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x is even harsher on the
pocketbook.

> As of 5.2, IBM dropped support for PREP boxes, among other things
> (including MCA and anything pre-604 I believe).  Only runs on CHRP now.

And even with all that legacy code dropped, it's a CD larger.

> How exactly does IBM license AIX?  I've never seen any paper license with our
> stuff, and it's not like they use license keys or passwords or anything like
> that.  So what serves as proof of license?

IBM licenses AIX just like Sun licenses Solaris.  There are no
provisions in the software to police your licenses, but if you ever want
IBM service, they'll audit you.  Even if you don't want IBM service, the
BSA can give you a bad day.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Earth works.  That's proof positive that Mother
Elgin, TX         (   Nature isn't a suit."            --Dave McGuire