[rescue] VOIP

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Oct 13 18:12:18 CDT 2003

--On Monday, October 13, 2003 7:49 AM -0400 sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
wrote:

> On Monday, Oct 13, 2003, at 01:34 US/Eastern, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>> How about a cell phone?
>

> Not exactly the same. A cell phone is auto-located by the service
> provider as part of the call routing. Not a problem to connect to the
> right emergency call center. And even then, I've been connected to the
> Washington D.C. 911 instead of Baltimore when I called.

But cell service routing is not based on the same set of
parameters as voice traffic ("real" phone lines) or IP.
All cell traffic is prioritized in some way or another;
if 911 is given highest priority, that means it will
route through the first available cell route, not
necessarily the correct location route.

There is no US federal mandate at this point for correct
911 routing when dialed from a cell phone; until that
happens, you won't see the cell companies fixing the
problem--it's too hard to do.

=Nadine=