[rescue] VOIP

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Mon Oct 13 06:51:27 CDT 2003

On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 11:01  PM, sammy ominsky wrote:
> I've been using packet8 for over a month now, and am quite happy with
> it. The only limitations that would keep me from using it as our only
> home phone are the fact that you can't call 911 with it, and if the
> electricity or cable go out you have no phone either.
>
> The 911 thing makes sense. 911 calls are automatically routed to the
> nearest emergency call center, and if your phone is routed through a
> server in California or New Jersey, how can you reach the right > center?

Unless I'm mistaken, (and I can only talk about the US) I believe it's
a law that if a house has telco wiring in it, then you HAVE to be able
to dial 911 from it. I know on the few times my phone service got shut
off (ah the wonders of unemployment!) I wasn't even able to call the
phone company from the line, but could dial 911.

-Mike