[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Oct 1 15:01:19 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:52:35PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.10.01 14:10 Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > The reason the 8bit PseudoColor visual is there is that many old X
> > programs only know how to work with PseudoColor; give them a TrueColor
> > visual and they either refuse to run or display screwed up colors.
> And since the Linux kids with there TrueColor only displays have taken
> over the world there are no X applications that can play nice with less
> then TrueColor. ;-) (Remembring a startup of enlightenment on a 8 bit
> Xterminal...)

Well, you're being more than slightly unfair there by picking as your
example a window manager legendary for its bloat.  Mozilla and XV, to
name just the very first two examples straight off the top of my head,
both work perfectly well with any X color model/depth I've ever used
(though I'll admit to never having tried either on a 1-bit display).

Also, just because most Linux distributions using most display cards
will configure X for TrueColor by default if TrueColor is supported on
that card, does not mean that Linux is TrueColor-only.  (For instance,
I'm running 24-bit TrueColor with 8-bit pseudocolor overlays on AccelX
on a Matrox G450 card.)