[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Oct 1 10:52:35 CDT 2003

On 2003.10.01 14:10 Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> The reason the 8bit PseudoColor visual is there is that many old X
> programs only know how to work with PseudoColor; give them a TrueColor
> visual and they either refuse to run or display screwed up colors.
And since the Linux kids with there TrueColor only displays have taken
over the world there are no X applications that can play nice with less
then TrueColor. ;-) (Remembring a startup of enlightenment on a 8 bit
Xterminal...)

> If you want to, you can (should be able to) pass in a -visual on the
> command line and it will then use that visual.  You use xdpyinfo to
> look up the visual e.g. 0x29 then pass that in.
Looking at xdpyinfo, there are still several 8 bit PseudoColor visuals.
The default visual, of corse, is TrueColor. IIRC the depth of the root
window is 8 bit in the SGI standard config and my changes to the Xserver
startup made the depth of the root window 24 bit. I remember saying
someone that the difference 8 bit root window on a 24 bit display is
what confuses most "modern" software.

> Of course since GNOME starts 12 different programs it might take you
> a while to figure it out :-)
Well. Maybe it is a GDK/GTK problem, not only GNOME. But as it can be
cured by Xserver startup parameters I went this way.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen