[rescue] Weird Silicon Graphics o2 graphics issues

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Oct 1 07:10:24 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:30:32AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.10.01 04:49 Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > if you turn off backing store?
> > if you disable the 8bit PseudoColor overlay plane?
> BTW: What is backing store and the 8 bit PseudoColor overlay plane good
> for?

The reason the 8bit PseudoColor visual is there is that many old X
programs only know how to work with PseudoColor; give them a TrueColor
visual and they either refuse to run or display screwed up colors.

I think that the reason for this is that so many Sun machines shipped
(10 years ago) with 8bit only framebuffers.  Thus it became what
programmers used when writing apps for X.

> I have problems with some GNOME programms if 8 bit PseudoColor overlay
> plane is active. So I always disable it.

If you want to, you can (should be able to) pass in a -visual on the
command line and it will then use that visual.  You use xdpyinfo to
look up the visual e.g. 0x29 then pass that in.  Of course since GNOME
starts 12 different programs it might take you a while to figure it
out :-)

--P