[rescue] SNMP, Baby!

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 08:32:51 CST 2003

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
[...]
> I can never get GCC to use a lot of RAM when compiling. It is always
> during the linking stage that RAM is consumed.

Template-heavy C++, especially on certain versions of g++ where they were
still tuning the design are going to be heavy on both CPU and RAM.

> Probably the sysadmin did not have enough swap configured.

Almost certainly. I apply the "disk is cheap" motto to allocating swap
space. Better to avoid the machine crashing than to have a relatively small
amount of extra space in /home which the lusers will just fill with junk
anyway.

--
When one BOFH walks into your cube and wants a word, you're in trouble. When
two BOFHs walk into your cube and want a word, you're in lots of trouble. When