[rescue] SNMP, Baby!

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Nov 13 06:47:15 CST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:49:09AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Dave McGuire declared on Tuesday 11 November 2003 11:14 am:
> > On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Kevin wrote:
> > > I really don't know anything about big Suns (or really little ones
> > > for that matter) but this machine
> > > looks like one i'd like to learn on.  Can't float it at the time
> > > though.
> >
> >    Learn on a four-proc E450 with a gigabyte of RAM.  I am
> > flabbergasted here.  :-)
> >
> >    As a shell account server, for example, that box could support
> > HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of simultaneous users.
>
> Well, at least until 40 users try running GCC at the same time...
> Supposedly that's what caused the crash of an E450 at Purdue a week ago,
> and that was with 4GB of ram not just 1GB.

I can never get GCC to use a lot of RAM when compiling.  It is always
during the linking stage that RAM is consumed.

Probably the sysadmin did not have enough swap configured.

> Of course, it seems inane to me to have that small of a machine trying to
> support thousands of engineers running things like gcc, matlab, and
> pspice.  Of course, I'm sure it's an 'if we had the budget..' sort of
> issue, aka 'politics.'

Amazing that schools never seem to lack money for the football team
though.  And it does not seem to stop them raising tuition fees...

I think that it is not a coincidence that U Chicago does not have
professional sports, and also has a huge number of Nobel winners among
their faculty.

--P