[rescue] Bigger Iron at Home (was: SNMP, Baby!)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 11 15:16:15 CST 2003

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> The entire house is to have a fairly pervasive FastE network for gadgets
> everywhere, and a 10baseT network for audio distribution (for an MP3
> playing system that fits in an electrical box the size used for a double
> wide light switch.  This will all be custom designed hardware, driven
> from some old unix machine with FDDI or FastE and lots of disk space).

There are tons of development boards out there. I'm looking at one that
has a pentium 266 equivalent processor, ethernet 64m ram, 64m flash,
serial, USB, 100mbit ethernet, IDE, better than 1024x768 video (can
drive VGA type monitor, LCD or TV), and audio on a 4x4" board.
Draws about from 1 to 5 watts, depending upon CPU load.

	http://www.compulab.co.il/products.htm

The same company makes boards with faster x86 processors and ARM
processors.

I've also seen similar boards with MIPS and PPC processors, PCI buses,
etc.

Due to the fact that I'm in Israel and have to take what I can get, these
boards go for $1700 for the development kit and $400 in quantity one.
(which includes a daughterboard with all the connectors.)

If you look around, you can find similar boards, especialy from Tiawan and
Singapore for about $100 in single quantitiy and free development kits.
Most of them will have ARM processors, but for most applications that
may be a good thing.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069