[rescue] Interesting Ultra 2 fact...

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Jun 28 18:03:47 CDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, N. Miller wrote:

> > I had been under the impression that I could not use a 250Mhz module
> > in an Ultra 2, but this document:

> > http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/805/805-0936/pdf/805-0936-14.pdf

> > Mentions setting the CPU speed jumper for 250 and 300Mhz modules...

> A system I am a volunteer administrator on is an Ultra 2 Enterprise:
> >System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2 X
> UltraSPARC-II 296MHz)
> >System clock frequency: 99 MHz

I knew it would take the 300s, they are listed as supported, but
the 250s are not.  And the module page itself says it is
unsupported in a U2... but it was nice to see the U2 might
acutally support it, cause there were a number of them on eBay.

> w/about a gig of memory to support about 5K users (shell server,
> but most POP mail rather than log in).

Nice.

> I wish I had one at home with a big honkin' graphics card, but
> no cash at the moment.

I picked up this base for $21.25 and the CPU for $10...
although it doesn't work right now (see previous post).
Both are warranted against DOA, but which one isn't working? =)

--Kurt