[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Jun 27 15:59:53 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Kevin wrote:

> In a distant (1992) past i painted my 486, just for the hell of it.  I
> don't think that type of thing is *inherently* bad, but like most
> things it has been tainted well beyond the point of me going anywhere
> near it.  When that type of thing started to become 1.) everywhere you
> look and 2.) the focal point of the computer, then it became a
> problem.  I believe most of this crap came from the overclocking crowd
> (a faction i never identified with) and then just spread when PeeCees
> became $5 a dozen.

I too modded my x86 486 (back when I only owned a Mac IIx and a 486
--(5x86-133))

I originally pulled off the OEM logo and cut the Sun logo off my
cardboard shipping box for Solx86 and glued it on.

:-)

Then later I painted the entire case black... disassembled my monitor
plastics and painted them black... bought a black IBM keyboard and
mouse... glued a NeXT logo over top of the same spot... and bought
OPENSTEP 4.2 academic...to put on it.

Wee... the SCSI card never worked so I returned the OS for a refund but
kept the Black 486 until I got a PPro 150... also Black (but that was
bought as such and was for looks only)... and the Black Taiwanese 15"
monitor I painted I used until it became too dim to work right
anymore... then I left it at work for them to dispose of hehe... (I had
also glued NeXT logos to it as well)  (and these were paper printouts
not plastic logos)

Now I own real NeXT hardware.

Andrew