[rescue] SparcCenter 2000E on Ebay

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 12:22:05 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:02:38 -0700
"N. Miller" <vraptor at promessage.com> wrote:
> Facts and figures can be twisted to meet the political agendas of
> the people who are writing the articles.  And I do believe that
> the WHO has a vested interest in slagging the American health-
> care system b/c we have not toed the line of "universal health-
> care." If you want to believe everything you read without access
> to the raw data, feel free.

Whilst the WHO may have an axe to grind, it seems unlikely that they've
twisted the figures too much ... what appears to be the raw figures are
available from their web site. Yes these still could be adulterated, but
seeing as anyone with access to the figures that the US provides to the
WHO could check it seems a little risky.

> As for "regular" healthcare, I noted similar things.  Most people
> I knew did not have a regular doctor they could refer their friends
> to-- most people simply went to the 24 hour clinics, which were really
> just the fast food equivalent of health care (Americans may be

Strange system. In the UK you are (or should be) registered with a
"General Practitioner". Your GP has access to your medical files going
to back to your birth (although I have a 2 year gap whilst I was living
in the US), and you are free to change your GP at any time.

> familiar with"Urgent Care clinics--places you go to instead of the
> emergency room for stitches on the weekends).  The doctors at these

We have "Accident & Emergency" departments at hospitals which you can go
to with problems. If you've got a non-urgent problem you're likely to be
told to go and see your GP (although I believe you can insist on
treatment by saying you haven't got one).

> coverage at their job.  But at least with the private insurance system
> you have an opportunity to find a doctor that fits your way of
> thinking and deal with him or her, and pay for expertise when you need
> it rather than being forced to wait because your case is not
> considered "critical" enough.

In the UK you've got the freedom to use the NHS or not. If you've got
a problem with a doctor you can change for another one (and/or
complain about him/her). You can have private insurance or not. If you
use the NHS initially you can choose to opt for private treatment
later(usually if you feel that you don't want to wait a few weeks/months
for something). I can't think of a place in Europe where you're so
restricted you aren't allowed to spend your own money on health care.

The only real difference I see is that the UK has universal coverage!