[rescue] Re: G5 case

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jun 25 14:45:25 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 12:21, Peter Corlett wrote:

> > I don't see what's so nasty and crufty about gnome or kde that isn't
> > nasty and crufty about Mozilla?
>
> Mozilla doesn't take over the whole display and spawn a load of pointless
> daemons listening on the network going "come and help yourself" to all the
> crackers out there, for a start.

I disable them all.

Actually, I usually leave out the desktop and run just the apps on a normal
X11 window manager.

> I'm not overly happy about Mozilla's bloat, but it's a massive improvement
> over Netscape 4.7x that I was using previously, and it's not otherwise
> awful enough for me to go and look for another browser.

The rendering engine just screaming fucking rocks. I would like it to be more
modular, eg for the extra apps to be more modular, and the browser, engine
and xul thing separated, but it's not bad. And damd extensible...

> [...]
>
> > apt-get -b source is your friend...
>
> Yes, that's pretty much how I do it. Sometimes it requires some development
> tool out of unstable that needs similar treatment, and so on. But they can
> usually all be made to work if you try hard enough.

Yeah, actually there is a solution for that too: apt-build. This is actually
kinda a response to the "optimisation craze" of Gento - it downloads source
packages and installs build-deps on the fly (optionally also compiling these
too). Unfortunately it is also buggy - it will often claim that packages you
try to compile are allready installed and such.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be