[rescue] Re: G5 case

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Jun 25 15:07:00 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:45:25PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 12:21, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > Mozilla doesn't take over the whole display and spawn a load of pointless
> > daemons listening on the network going "come and help yourself" to all the
> > crackers out there, for a start.
>
> I disable them all.
>
> Actually, I usually leave out the desktop and run just the apps on a normal
> X11 window manager.

Yeah, there's a handful of Gnome apps I use that way.  Pan springs to
mind, for instance.  But I have no use whatsoever for the whole Gnome
environment.  If I wanted a Windows lookalike, I could use Windows.

> > I'm not overly happy about Mozilla's bloat, but it's a massive improvement
> > over Netscape 4.7x that I was using previously, and it's not otherwise
> > awful enough for me to go and look for another browser.
>
> The rendering engine just screaming fucking rocks. I would like it to be more
> modular, eg for the extra apps to be more modular, and the browser, engine
> and xul thing separated, but it's not bad. And damd extensible...

Looked at Mozilla Firebird?  People I know who've gotten it working say
it's one of the better "light, fast shell around gecko" browsers.  Mozilla
itself pretty much does what I need in a browser, though.