[rescue] Re: G5 case

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:03:06 CDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Peter Corlett wrote:

> > apt-get -b source is your friend...

> Yes, that's pretty much how I do it. Sometimes it requires some development
> tool out of unstable that needs similar treatment, and so on. But they can
> usually all be made to work if you try hard enough.

Do you know about package pinning?  I'd have to look up the
exact setting up of it, but basically you can add the
testing and/or unstable apt sources to your list... BUT
it will only use unstable by default.  However, you can
specifically tell it to pull something from testing/unstable
and it will pull it and its dependencies.  And keep them up
to date with apt-get upgrades... but ONLY those packages
necessary to keep that package up to date.

Kindof a cool feature...

--Kurt