[rescue] Re: G5 case

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 03:55:05 CDT 2003

Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
[...]
> I reboot maybe once a week, or once a month, depending... I think the last
> time I rebooted was for a major software update.

Ignoring the Windows box for a moment, my last reboot was when the fusebox
got tripped. The previous one was a power cut. Before that, a disk failure.
I think that about covers six months on three boxes up 24/7.

The Windows box is of course up and down like a whore's knickers. So I pile
all the dodgy USB hardware like the WaveFinder and my scanner onto it, so
then can all sulk together. I did try to dump a Microsoft USB mouse onto it,
but with that much suckage, it passed the event horizon and wouldn't boot
properly.

> I've kernel-panic'ed the machine *once* in the past six months.

The only machine of mine that seems to kernel panic is my Ultra 30 running
Debian. Once I'd found the errant program that thought it was poking around
a Linux/i386 kernel[0], it was fine.

I've not seen a Debian x86 box kernel panic recently, except for one that
will usually keel over if I plug in the aforementioned Microsoft USB mouse.
I guess the machine has got some standards, then.

[0] This seems to be a popular "feature" of Debian on non-PC hardware,
    especially before "woody" (Debian 3.0). Woody does at least try to
    acknowledge that not all computers have AT keyboards and PS/2 mice.

--
Did you know? #19
Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.